This is a critical role for LGP given the scale and complexity of the capital programs and its potential impact on stakeholders. Moreover, the capital program is being undertaken “on top of” an existing terminal complex that is one of the busiest in the nation. As such, it is imperative that LGP deliver on its mandate on schedule, on budget, and with minimal operational disruption. LGP must commission completed phases of the capital program with the utmost in forward planning, covering all contingencies, thereby ensuring seamless and flawless cutovers.
With the first new construction transitions scheduled for June 2018, the organization is rapidly moving into planning mode and hence the immediate requirement for the new Director role.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop a comprehensive plan for transition of operations from existing to new facilities covering the areas of facility maintenance, operations, commercial, communications, finance, training and information technology.
- Facilitate the creation of departmental teams to leverage expertise for the development of transition, training and contingency plans for each specific area.
- Develop contingency plans for all key systems linked to a successful day-1 opening to ensure a seamless response to any system failures.
- Ensure the highest degree of customer satisfaction on opening day of all new facilities by delivering on the transition plan and ensuring all systems, training and contingency plans are implemented.
- Establish, manage and maintain strategic relationships with senior representatives of key stakeholders including the various levels of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, airlines, vendors, sub-concessionaires, consumer groups and the airport business community to ensure all stakeholders are engaged in the transition program.
- Work closely with Operations, the Major Projects team and appropriate Subject Matter Experts, the building contractor, and the systems integrators to meticulously plan and deliver a coordinated program of trials designed to progressively test building functions as they are commissioned.
- Focus on ensuring that technical systems meet their intended purpose, providing an effective framework to support staff operations and methodically trialing every component of all systems and developing mitigation plans to address any issues or deficiencies in the systems along with corrective action plans.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with all LaGuardia Gateway Partners internal departments.
- Develop, track and report on work plans to ensure transitions activities are progressing according to schedule, and all elements of the transition plan will be complete prior to opening day.
- Establish metrics to track effectiveness of operational plans and training; utilize data to adjust transition planning activities for future transition phases.
- Develop a strong working knowledge of design-build contract documents and Port Authority lease agreements.
- Provide leadership to the ORAT project team and ensure employee development plans are in place and implemented.
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Director, Operational Coordination, Readiness & Transition.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
The following critical success factors represent those deemed most critical to be accomplished in year one to ensure success:
- Establish strong, trust-based working relationships with the Project Director, Operational Coordination, Readiness & Transition; other members of the LGP leadership team, and representatives of key stakeholder groups.
- Identify and act to secure and implement the necessary staff, structure, processes, and systems to ensure the effective functioning of the ORAT department.
- Develop a strong understanding of the redevelopment program and its various phases and dimensions, at both the macro- and micro-levels.
- Establish the transition plan for activation of Concourse B, which will go live in June 2018.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Ideal Experience and Qualifications
- Direct experience in commissioning new airport infrastructure such as new airports overall, new terminals, new concourses, new roadways, and the like. Brings at least 10 years’ experience in an airport operations environment including activation of complex airport construction projects which have included a customer interaction component. Given the criticality of this role in the project, this role requires someone who has “been there and done that” in the airport development context.
- Brings a strong track record of successful project management as related to planning and executing flawless operational transitions for new airport facilities. This experience could have been gained through a shorter list of larger projects (e.g., 10-gate terminal expansion) or through a series of smaller but well executed capital projects over a longer period of time.
- Possesses a deep knowledge of all facets of airport operations and systems, both landside and airside, with an appreciation of how operations affect all stakeholders such as airlines, the TSA, the FAA, law enforcement, concessionaires, and ground transportation.
- Strong and proven planning and project management skills including a demonstrated ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- A proven ability to partner effectively with all airport stakeholders.
- Very strong communication skills, both verbal and written, including outstanding listening skills.
- Willing and able to relocate to the greater New York City area.
- The legal right to work in the United States.
The successful candidate is likely today working in one or more of the following contexts but, regardless of his/her current organizational affiliation, he/she should bring the key core competencies above:
- A leading edge and well regarded airport operating organization (private sector airport operator, airport authority, city/county airport administration) that has successfully undertaken and commissioned material new infrastructure.
- The facilities department of a well-respected airline that has taken lead oversight for the development and commissioning of material new airport infrastructure.
- A well regarded third party airport program management/construction management provider that has played a key role in commissioning new airport infrastructure.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- High energy and driven in style.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Not afraid to get his or her hands dirty and do “real work”; has a strong spirit of entrepreneurship and working within a less-structured environment.
- Capable of delegating effectively.
- Proven ability to multi-task.
- A team player with proven experience creating, managing and coaching teams for high performance.
- Ability to work under pressure and establish priorities.
- Demonstrated change management and facilitation skills.
- Excellent communication skills; strong writing and oral presentation abilities.
- Strong financial management skills.
- Ability to utilize and implement technology focused solutions to drive results.