The Airport Planner is a full-time position for the Syracuse Regional Airport Authority which conducts, analyzes, studies and develops plans to effectively implement capital projects at Syracuse Hancock International Airport related to facility utilization, land use and/or transportation initiatives, and other operational requirements consistent with business objectives. This position ensures the integration of long-term master plans and strategic objectives into both short and long-term development projects keeping in mind the impact on specified airports and to local/regional areas. This position also researches and investigates technical issues with direct effect on airport development projects; oversees environmental programs, performs computer assisted drafting, design and development, and creation and maintenance of GIS data files. This position reports to the Director of Planning and Development and demonstrates initiative and operates with latitude under general supervision.
Typical Work Activities
• Update and maintain the Airport Layout Plan
• Develops plans, drawings, maps and other visual presentation materials for boards, funding agencies and other internal and external constituents.
• Assists in the development, implementation, and maintenance of GIS and/or related engineering, architectural and/or cartographic systems and databases.
• Review’s technical documents prepared by A/E Consultants & Contractors for conformance with established system quality control and assurance standards.
• Solicit input from airport leadership, departments, and stakeholders regarding desired Capital Improvement Projects.
• Develop project scopes and planning level cost estimates based on input received.
• Develop and maintain a systematic approach to prioritizing CIP projects
• Maintain the SRAA’s 2-year, 5-year, and 10-year lookahead project planning schedule
• Maintain the FAA 5-year NPIAS, 3-year ACIP, and 5-year NY Transportation CIP
• Ensure appropriate level of review under the New York Environmental Quality Act and the National Environmental Policy Act for airport projects and respond to requests for comments on project outside of the airport.
• Manage the procurement and contract administration of any planning or technical consultants
• Maintain a project bid database and as-built cost history database
• Coordination with local FAA ADO Planner regarding projects at SYR
• Maintain organized facility and site as-built drawings describing the current condition of the existing site and facilities
• Develop planning level life-cycle cost impacts of proposed projects and conduct project risk assessments
• Prepare staff reports and present to the Airport Authority management team
• Frequent exposure to public, ranking officials, tenants, vendors and contractors while presenting a professional approach using tact, judgment and diplomacy to provide a high level of service and accurate information
• Thorough working knowledge of the principles and practices of airport planning, design & construction including cost estimation, construction codes, environmental codes and regulations, relevant occupational safety codes, and other codes, rules and regulations governing airport operations.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints, engineering drawings, construction diagrams, topographical drawings, plat maps, and related graphics and schematics.
• Thorough working knowledge of CAD, BIM, and GIS software applications
• Thorough working knowledge of database management software and Basic knowledge of cartographic principles and practices as it relates to GIS.
• Thorough working knowledge of RFP development and bid selection processes.
• Working knowledge of budget management practices and contract administration practices and principles.
• Ability to interact positively with coworkers, consultants, contractors, tenants, representatives of local units of government and residents of proximate communities from widely diverse cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing in English, including public speaking skills
• Ability to work outside on occasion, being exposed to variety of weather conditions
• Physical able to be mobile around a construction site and to be able to operate office technology
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and integrity of data obtained through the course of the Position
A) Graduation with a bachelor’s degree in Airport Planning, Aviation Management, Engineering, Public Planning, or a closely related field; or
B) Combination of education and Certified C.M. (Certified Member) through AAAE (American Association of Airport Executives), or ability to obtain C.M. within one year; and
C) Two (2) years of experience, or its part time equivalent, in airport planning, design and construction functions, which must include CAD and GIS software.
1. Must obtain and maintain security clearance as required by role and TSA regulations
2. Possession of valid New York State driver’s license
* Any offer of employment would be contingent on passing a security clearance background check and pre-employment drug test.
**This is a Civil Service provisional position. The incumbent will be required to take an open/competitive exam given by Onondaga County Civil Service and be reachable on the certified list to be eligible to obtain permanent civil service status and retain the position.
Salary and Benefits
The Authority offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package, including medical/dental/vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, generous paid time off, flexible work schedules, 457(b), and membership in the New York State Local and Employee Retirement System.
*The Syracuse Regional Airport Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer*
About Syracuse Regional Airport Authority
The mission of the Syracuse Regional Airport Authority is to provide safe, secure, efficient and low-cost air transportation service to the 12-county region that Syracuse Hancock International Airport currently serves. The Authority seeks to stimulate air service, economic development, trade and tourism by focusing on the shared goals of its stakeholders: more service to more destinations, lower operating costs and increased non-aeronautical revenue. The Authority recognizes that the Syracuse Hancock International Airport is a gateway to the central New York region and beyond and seeks to optimize customer service and exceed customer expectations with continuous improvements to the terminal building and public-use facilities.